Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Master's Hands and The Open Gate


  The Master's Hands and The Open Gate

Dear Friends,
     In my garden I have an old chain link fence with a gate.  The gate squeaks when it opens so we are alerted before the person who entered gets to the door.  In John chapter 10 Jesus uses language that has illustrations of a shepherd, sheep, and a gate.  Jesus told the disciples that He is the good shepherd.  He also said that He is the gate.  When the people didn't understand, he worded it a little differently in hopes that they understood the message.  He wanted them and us to be alerted and learn from His words.  
     The people of ancient Israel knew about gates, walls, sheep, and shepherds.  Jesus wanted to  use things that were common to them, that they could relate to.  His story-telling way of teaching gave them a visual way to remember the lesson. 
      In John 10: 7 Jesus says, "...I am the gate for the sheep."  In verse 9 Jesus says,"I am the gate."  He continues His discussion with them letting them know that He will voluntarily be a sacrifice.  
     He poured Himself out daily during His ministry using His hands to touch lives.  These were the same hands that were so cruelly pierced.  You can think of His hands as parts of a gate.  One hand is used as the hinge to fasten it to the wall, the other hand has the latch to hold it securely in place.  Jesus used His hands to heal them, cook fish on a fire for them and break bread with them.  These were the same hands that became the hinges and latch  of Jesus the Gate.  Jesus the Gate, suffered for our sins.  
     Second Corinthians 5:21 tells us that "God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ." 
     My prayer today is that you know that Jesus is your gate and that you go through Him into the garden.
John 10:7
"...so He explained to them: "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep."
John 10:15
"...just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep."

No comments:

Post a Comment